Hackney carriages or Green cabs are public transport vehicles which are licensed to “ply for hire”.
- carry passengers for hire or reward
- be hailed by prospective passengers in the street
- park on a rank to await the approach of passengers
A hackney carriage must be driven by a driver who holds a hackney carriage driver’s licence.
Hackney carriage vehicles can be found at the ranks around the city and they can be hailed in the street. These vehicles have a roof light with the word TAXI on them. They have a plate affixed to the rear and a smaller version affixed to the windscreen which carry details of the expiry date, licence number and vehicle registration.
What are benefits of using a Hackney carriage over a ‘mini-cab’:
- Free Advertising (which a private hire firm cannot legally do)
- Safety of passengers
- Green cabs are allowed to go anywhere in the city and drive in bus lanes
- Extra leg room
- All of our cabs are 5/6 seater at no extra cost
- All of our cabs are wheelchair friendly
- Our prices are set by Nottingham City Council
- Up to 10% discount for account customers
- Fixed rate prices can be negotiated